P.O. Box 744
all year long...
Christmas Philatelic Club
What's in the
October/November/December Yule Log?
- "Christmas Carvings from Canada" . . . by Wilmer Bloy CPC #1663. Christmas Stamp Stories writer Wilmer Bloy describes the story behind the 1995 Christmas stamps from Canada. These stamps feature images of stone carvings in the columns at Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupre Basilica of Quebec City. The Basilica took 44 years to be built, begun in 1926, and completed in 1970. The capitol carvings were done by the artist Emil Brunet. He did over 100 designs of carvings at this basilica, including the Stations of the Cross and the statues on the facade of Sainte-Anne. Though trained as a sculptor, he did not carve any of his designs for the basilica, but rather supervised the stone carvers as they transferred his designs into the detailed stone work.
- "The Christmas Stamps of Dahomey and Benin, Part 2 " .. . . by Richard Beecher, CPC #987. In this Yule Log, Richard describes the issues from 1975 on, when Dahomey was newly named Benin. Several covers are illustrated in colour showing use of the Christmas stamps from Benin. The first Christmas cover shown from Benin shows the use of a Christmas stamp issued Dec. 19, 1975 that does not reflect the nation's name change. Christmas covers from 1984 and 1986 show the name change.
- "Did You Know???".... by Pat Prevey, CPC #971. Pat describes the Christmas issues of The Principality of Hutt River in Australia. Previously known as Hutt River Province, the Principality consists of 75 square kilometers and is situated 517 km north of Perth. The population is approximately 20,000 inhabitants, mainly the aboriginal Nandha people. A history of its existence is detailed. Hutt River has issued stamps since November 15, 1973 including Christmas issues from 1974 to 1976, 1978 to 1982, 1989 to 1992 and 1996 to 2008. Information about the stamps can be found at www.principality-hutt-river.org/gov/post . Several of the Christmas issues are illustrated in this article.
- "Bethlehem in Maryland " ...by Christine Sanders, CPC #1766 ....an excellent research article on the history of Bethlehem, Maryland; its post office; and its Christmas cancels through the years. The author describes an actual visit to the quiet, peaceful crossroads community. The 13 page article is profusely illustrated with Bethlehem cancels through the years. A wonderful listing of Resources are also included. A must read article!!!!
- "New Collector Handbook on National Wildlife Federation® Christmas Stamps" . . . National Wildlife Federation® Christmas stamps were issued from 1956 through 2000 to promote wildlife conservation and to raise funds for wildlife conservation. You can order on line or download and mail an order form at the following site www.PaperQuestPress.com . Prices are $38 for the saddle-stitched binding and $39.50 for the spiral binding, each plus $5 shipping and handling.
To see some of the regular columns in the Yule Log,
return to the Yule Log page.
The Yule Log is edited by Jon Mills of Ottawa, Ontario. Christine Sanders of Englewood, Florida is the club's
The invitation to
membership in the Christmas Philatelic Club is open to any Christmas topical philatelist
who is seriously interested in associating with those who collect likewise.
Current dues are $20 per
year for persons living in North America. Other Countries: $30.00 (US funds). Send an
international money order in US dollars.
Applications for membership
are available from Secretary/Treasurer Jim Balog, PO Box 744, Geneva, Ohio 44042-0744 USA or complete this Application Form and send it to the secretary's address..
For a sample issue of the Yule Log, send
P.O. Box 744